Tuesday, Sep. 3, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,

President Cleveland asked us to share with him a scripture that is meaningful to us. This week I was studying faith, and I came across Ephesians 3:17-19: "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God."

There is so much I do not understand about the gospel. But I have faith in Jesus Christ, and being obedient to the gospel allows me to understand more fully the breadth, length, depth, and height of Jesus Christ's love. It is something I cannot explain. I don't have to know everything about the gospel to be able to feel Christ's love, and that is what I am striving to do for other people. I want to help them feel the love of Christ, and I want to strive to personify the spirit. 

I love this gospel, and I am grateful to be here. 

We are teaching so many cool people, I wish I had time to write about them all. But here are a couple highlights of the week:
- We were personal contacting on campus and walked into a girl from Japan. Sis. Clark asked her, "Can we sit down with you?" She said "Sure!" She doesn't know if she believes in God, but her boyfriend keeps telling her that she'll become Christian someday, she just doesn't know when. We told her, "Well, we can help you with that!" We took her to the institute building and taught her about Jesus Christ, and we opened to Matthew 11:28-30. She read it and said, "Wow, this reminds me a lot of a song that I sang once!" She is studying African American gospel music, so she loved this verse! She is so open and ready to learn! We are meeting with her again this week.
- We met a girl from China and set up an appointment with her at the institute. She was late, and when she got there she was having a rough day. We said an opening prayer and she just started crying; she said, "It reminded me of when I was in China and an American girl prayed for me, and it just felt so good." We talked about commandments and repentance, and how she can become completely clean. She loved the sound of that, and she really really wants to come to church. It was one of the sweetest lessons I have ever been in. 
- Another investigator from China (we teach so many Asian people, I love it!!) met with us right before church, and we had a quick lesson about the Book of Mormon. He has been reading it, and he understands that it is a book of stories and principles that we are to apply to our own lives. He said, "I found a quiet place to read, and I read last night in the thunderstorm, and I wasn't sure if the peace I felt came from the rain or from the book." How cool!! The member we brought with us said, "He is such a unique person--most people from China do not pay attention to his feelings, but he is so in tune with the spirit." It's incredible. 
- Well, the last person I want to talk about is also from China...she came with her friend to church a couple weeks ago and has such a strong desire to change and be baptized, but she wants to make sure she understands it all fully, which is so good! We set a baptismal date with her in December, and we showed her a teaching record so she can know what she needs to do and learn to be prepared. I am blown away by how many prepared people we are meeting. It's amazing. I am just trying to keep up, and keep following the spirit. 

So many other miracles this week, but we hardly have time to process it all let alone write about it in this email...so ask me after the mission!

Love you all!

Sister Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment