Monday, Sep. 30, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,

This has been a full, busy week. Several of our investigators have been overwhelmed with school and they've felt that meeting with us is too much. School is definitely a barrier that adds stress and keeps people from meeting with us. But there are a couple who are still actively working towards baptism.

We had an incredible lesson with a guy from Brazil who is good friends with a family in one of the local wards. He has known them for about a year and goes to their home regularly. They've invited us over a couple times to teach him in their home, and we taught him again last Monday. We brought a member from the YSA branch who also happened to know him and the family really well, we had no idea! It worked out perfectly!
We talked about the Plan of Salvation, and he had a ton of great questions. He had never thought about living with God before. He understood agency and the importance of commandments, and when I asked him why it would be important for him to be baptized he said, "Well, to live with God again. And to be clean. And even Jesus Christ was baptized, so shouldn't I?" The member said, "You just quoted scripture!" The entire lesson was great, and at the end of the lesson he said, "I just have to say, when you were talking at the beginning about living with God before, I was a little confused, but as you've been talking I feel like that's something I already knew. I feel like this is all very familiar, and I don't know why. I feel like I already knew you before." We all sat there stunned. I swear I knew this guy in the pre-earth life. All of our spirits just connected. I never quite understood that scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants that says "He that preacheth and he that receiveth shall be edified and rejoice with one another" until this lesson. Incredible.

Funny lesson of the week--we were teaching J about prophets and we played the game Telephone to show how information can be lost without somebody to maintain it. Sis. Clark whispered a super long sentence to me that went something like, "The white fluffy bunny ran across the busy street to the church building to learn about Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jesus, the Plan of Salvation, and the gospel." I whispered what I heard to J, and he whispered what he heard to the member at the lesson. By the end the sentence had lost "Jesus" and "the gospel." J said "How could you forget Jesus??" He kept making fun of me for forgetting the most important part of the sentence. That just goes to show how important prophets are!!

Love you all, the church is true!

Sister Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment