October 22, 2012


What a week! We do service at a genealogy center in Zionsville, and this week there was a group of women who came in to seal and stamp envelopes for an event that's going on soon. We started talking to them, and a few of them had a lot of questions about our faith. One was especially curious about what we believe, and what our life is like as missionaries. It was really neat to be able to talk to them and share our beliefs, and it was good practice for us to teach! We got the contact information of a few of them, and we look forward to stopping by their homes in the near future!

Sis. Burton, the new General Relief Society President, came and spoke in Indianapolis on Saturday!! She is amazing!! So real. Sometimes we don't realize we need to hear someone speak until we actually sit down and listen...what she said was exactly what I needed to hear. 

Since then, it's kind of hit me that the mission is really causing me to dig down deep to find the source of my testimony. I have always had a testimony of the gospel, never once questioned if it was true, but for the first time I am surrounded by people who don't believe the same things I do, and I have to be able to defend my testimony and become independent with it. I have to be able to say that it is MY testimony and nobody else's. I don't know why it has always been so easy for me to live the gospel, but for the first time I am wondering WHY. I know that my mission is going to help me become independent in my testimony, but it is a lot harder than I thought it would be to actually apply my testimony and be firm and steadfast in what I believe.

We are so excited to start teaching a family--the mother is less-active, her husband is not a member, her daughter was baptized into the church but hasn't attended since she was 14, and her daughter's fiance is excited to investigate the church! They have amazing home teachers who we are working with to teach them, and they want to raise their kids in a church. So we will start teaching them the lessons, and see where things go!

One of the greatest hours of the week is singing with our branch choir. We sing Mac Wilberg and John Rutter, and the members are so talented! Other than that...the hymns we sing in district meetings are the most off-key songs I've ever heard. It's hilarious. But I just play the piano so I get to hear everyone sing :) And Sis. Carter is the only sister singing, so she has fun blending in with the elders. 

This week we got our flu shots. The next day I woke up and looked in the mirror...and I looked like Hitch! My left eyelid was red and swollen. The next day it was worse...but it's gone down since then. I wore my glasses for a couple days, and hopefully people weren't too freaked out by my ogre eye. 

Yesterday our garbage can was fuller than our fridge...but we are making a Walmart run today! Restocking our shelves! :)

K I love you all so so much! The gospel is true! Missionary work is real, and it is sure moving forward QUICKLY! These are the last days, and we have to prepare everyone!!!

Sister Allen

pics:
1. Our garbage can and fridge...something is wrong with this picture.
2. This morning we locked ourselves out of our apartment...so our dear neighbor Mary let us borrow her giant Book of Mormon and Bible so we could study until our landlord came to save us!
3. Beautiful fire bushes!!!
4. We found Salt Lake this weekend! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment